Anticipation

     Carly Simon released her album "Anticipation" in 1971. The title song from that album was actually written about what was going through Carly's mind while she was waiting to go on a date with Cat Stevens. I know what you are thinking. No...No, that song was not about ketchup. It was about anticipating something that you really want.
     "Anticipation". Like watching Heinz ketchup slowly make it's way down the inside of the neck of a glass condiment bottle, we anticipate the things that we think will make our lives better. Carly sang "We can never know about the things to come". People that are close to me know that I want to stay in the shallow end of everything Pop Culture. However, I will get in the deep end with Carly here. Our current situation pushes me into the deep end with her. We are in a state of "Anticipation" right now.
      I drove out to the sticks that protrude from a mud hill today. I walked around and tried to imagine it as a habitable dwelling. Yeah, I'm not there yet. My wife anticipates our new life in the house that will arise from the mud hill sticks. I anticipate a life that doesn't include having a bowel movement in a combination bathroom/closet. Carly sings "These are the good the good old days". It's hard to see these as the good old days. I appreciate her enthusiasm. I really do.
     I assume her date with Cat Stevens didn't go so well, because "You're So Vain" came out a year later. This song wasn't even about him. Poor bastard. You see, before Taylor Swift started writing songs about ex-boyfriends, Carly was dishing on Warren Beatty.
     "Anticipation". As a child, Carly Simon was probably my first celebrity crush. OK, maybe my second after Linda Carter. All right, maybe my third after Linda Carter and Farrah Faucet. Well, there was Lonnie Anderson too. Having said that, I anticipated taking Carly on a date to watch Evel Knievel jump 14 Greyhound Buses. We would watch Evel while ketchup slowly made its way onto a plate of French Fries. Anticipation.
     Carly Simon never wrote a song about me. I never saw Evel Knievel in person. What did I get? I married a woman that is better looking than Carly and we have three wonderful kids that promised to get me an Evel Knievel pinball machine for my 50th birthday. Life is good. We squeeze ketchup out of a plastic bottle. We don't wait on it to run down the inside of a glass bottle neck.
     But....Maybe, Carly was right. Maybe these are the good old days. Maybe, anticipating that pinball machine while sharing a cramped apartment with a woman hotter than Carly Simon isn't so bad. Maybe the anticipation is better than the reality. The anticipation feels good. I'll admit, I enjoy the closeness of this apartment.
     Pause. Think of your situation. Where are you in your life? Maybe, our dreams will always be better than our realities. Is that so bad? Maybe we should continue to chase a better reality. Maybe we should enjoy what we have. These truly are the good old days. Thank you, Carly.
    Lucy sits on the floor next to me. She waits in "Anticipation" for a popcorn kernel to fall on the floor. Me? I anticipate playing pinball with my kids while a woman hotter than Carly Simon tells us to keep it down. She will yell "keep it down" from another room in the sticks that protrude from a mud hill Over Yonder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My new reality smells like Dominicans and urine

The Curse

La La Land made me do it.