I am the Penguin

     Lucy is shoving her snout into the woven straw basket next to one of the bland taupe colored walls that border our living room. She is digging out all of her toys. She is picking her next victim. The gnarled up fox, the flattened penguin, and the soggy reindeer all lay limp in the bottom of the woven straw basket of despair hoping that they are not chosen. Sorry, penguin. Today is not your day. The cold wet nose of destruction has decided your fate. Lucy plops onto the floor and chews on his face. The once functioning squeaker just lets out a defeated "poof".
     Life can deal you a bad hand at anytime. The cards you hold are the cards you hold. They are your cards. I have figured out that you just need to focus on the ante and when to cash in. Unfortunately for me, I have shoved a lot of chips into the middle of the table. I guess you could say that I am "all in" at the moment. "All in" on the new house. "All in" on selling the old house. "All in" on this...This...This apartment. I am "All in" on the Dean's Ranch Dip and Family Size bag of Wavy Lay's that I am killing right now.
     Since moving into this apartment, we have all struggled on some level or another. However, we have balance. Our days of despair are never aligned. We take turns having our bad days. We lie at the bottom of the woven straw basket that is this apartment. We await the cold wet nose of destruction to chose whose day will be bad. Don't let me be the penguin. Not me. Not today. "Poof".
     Trey's girlfriend, Honor, is here. Trey is at work. Honor and I are discussing vegetarians and vegans. I explained that  after about three weeks of trying to be a vegetarian, I would probably eat the dogs. Distractions. Distractions are good. We discuss the African American Church in Columbiana, AL. We discuss Nantucket. We discuss her brother. I have learned that her brother is a car guy. Better yet, he is a Ford guy. Her brother and I exchange texts about cars. We text about attending the New York International Car Show next year. Distractions. Fords. Car Shows.
     Life can push you down. Sometimes down is not bad. Sometimes down is good. Sometimes, down can make you realize what's important. Sometimes, down can keep you hidden. Sometimes, down can hide your from the cold wet nose of destruction.
     I hope that the cold wet nose of destruction decides that the closing on our house tomorrow shouldn't be disturbed. Maybe, I will have a great day. Maybe the soggy reindeer will be chosen. After all, I am the penguin. I am the penguin that seeks refuge at the bottom of a woven straw basket. A straw basket that sits next to a bland taupe wall Over Yonder.     

Comments

  1. Awesome article ... You have written very effectively and sensitively

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I hear the name Honor I think of Logan's sister from Gilmore Girls. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ssswwweeettttttt..... you've vividly described how the mind does "look at what's happening around us"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My new reality smells like Dominicans and urine

The Curse

La La Land made me do it.